Highlight – CA Technologies Blog
The world of enterprise IT is changing, fast. Keep up.
Three quarters of Australian companies surveyed have basic or limited API-enabling capabilities
SYDNEY, 29 June 2016 – A global study commissioned by CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) shows that Australia is lagging behind its regional counterparts when it comes to API implementation. Three-quarters (75 per cent) of Australian companies surveyed reported they have only basic or limited API-enabling capabilities. This puts Australia behind China, Singapore, Japan and the world’s top ranked country – India.
In the study titled “APIs and the Digital Enterprise: From Operational Efficiency to Digital Disruption,” few Australian respondents felt they had overcome some of the top API challenges, ranging from formulating a strategy and setting objectives, to educating senior budget holders and securing funds.
In fact, 37 per cent of Australian organisations said that the first, basic task of formulating a strategy and setting objectives was still a work in progress, with only 30 per cent claiming it was already done.
Australian respondents reported having a managed or coordinated approach to using APIs within their organisations to:
• Build mobile and web applications (34 per cent and 42 per cent respectively)
• Integrate back-office systems (45 per cent)
• Enable third-party developers (40 per cent) and
• Incorporate third-party services (33 per cent)
The exploration of new business models (45 per cent), extending their digital reach (42 per cent), faster delivery of revenue-enhancing apps and the delivery of new/better customer experiences (both at 40 per cent) were also named as the top current drivers for using APIs. Those elements all contribute to a business’ success in the application economy.
“Let’s be clear; it’s not the understanding of APIs that’s lagging in Australia, it’s the execution. What I’m seeing is large organisations with legacy middleware systems in the back end that are hesitant and not sufficiently motivated to change. This comes down to education, and what IT and digital teams need to know is that putting in an API architecture is an incremental change; it couples nicely with existing systems but provides monumental changes in terms of speed and flexibility,” said Paul Kastner, Solution Lead, API Management at CA Technologies ANZ.
Despite the low-level of API-enabling capability in Australia, 44 per cent of respondents said they had extensive knowledge of APIs with a further 34 per cent saying their knowledge was good (a total of 78 per cent with a positive understanding). This compares favourably against Australia’s neighbours in the Asia Pacific & Japan region, with only India reporting a higher level of understanding (85 per cent).
In terms of objectives sought from API initiatives, the ability to secure APIs effectively came out on top (44 per cent), whilst the effective management of API performance/scalability and ease of API discovery by the broader developer community (42 per cent and 40 per cent respectively) followed closely behind.
When it comes to tools that would support an API framework, 46 per cent of Australian organisations reported that they have full access to portal technology that will enable API discovery and access by developers. However, few respondents reported having tools or processes to coordinate and manage API development and publication, as well as in coding standards to ensure inherent security of API-enabled systems (both at 23 per cent).
“In Australia, the government is the most forward-thinking sector when it comes to APIs. In fact, some of the initiatives government agencies are managing under an API framework – particularly in NSW – are quite visionary,” said Kastner.
As the leader in API management, CA proudly helps customers maximise the use of APIs by providing them with a secure, developer-friendly environment that can address today’s large scale mobile and IoT initiatives.
ABOUT CA TECHNOLOGIES
CA Technologies (NASDAQ:CA) creates software that fuels transformation for companies and enables them to seize the opportunities of the application economy. Software is at the heart of every business in every industry. From planning, to development, to management and security, CA is working with companies worldwide to change the way we live, transact, and communicate – across mobile, private and public cloud, distributed and mainframe environments. Learn more at www.ca.com.