Zowe (www.zowe.org) is the first open source project on IBM zOS and was announced at Open Source Summit in August 2018; its three founding members are IBM, Rocket and Broadcom (CA Technologies at the time). Within seven months of the announcement, the first GA version of Zowe was released – reaching a major milestone with a 100% open source (Eclipse Public License version 2.0) ready for production.
Zowe is an extensible framework for connecting applications and tools to mainframe data and applications. It aims to make mainframe an integrated and agile platform within the changing IT architectural landscape. This translates as a set of goals:
- Attract new people
- Demystify the Z platform
- Enhance integration and consumability
- Promote open community of practice
- Reduce learning curve
- Improve productivity
- Create modern, platform-neutral interfaces
- Build a cloud-like user experience
- Simplify architecture
- Reduce the operational overhead
- Improve co-existence
- Enable rich ecosystem of free and commercial solutions.
See the video presenting Zowe: https://youtu.be/NX20ZMRoTtk
Along with the GA of Zowe 1.0, software vendors such as Broadcom are now starting to deliver offerings based on Zowe. A perfect example, CA Brightside, was developed by Broadcom and awarded the most innovative DevOps solution of the year 2018 by DevOps.com. And now, Broadcom is offering enterprise-grade Zowe support for users.
Now is time for customers to investigate deploying Zowe in their organization and get the benefits of transforming such infrastructure. To successfully adopt Zowe, customers have the following needs:
- Ability to share a single instance of Zowe with multiple products from multiple providers. This facilitates products consumption and co-existence through a shared API mediation layer, a shared Command Line Interface and a shared Web Desktop User Interface.
- A single support for all Zowe core components regardless of which applications or products are using it. This enables customers to deploy Zowe in production with confidence, getting the benefits of open-source while receiving support typical of Enterprise Software.
Broadcom is committed to Zowe’s successful adoption and announced Zowe support at SHARE Conference on March 11th, 2019.