The CA Technologies-commissioned review compared the capabilities of CA ARCserve and Veeam Backup & Replication around image-based backup, file-based backup, replication/high availability and usability.
“In complete contrast to Veeam Backup & Replication, which only supports virtual systems, CA ARCserve is equally at home in both physical and virtual environments,” said Barry Nance, president of Network Testing Labs, who has evaluated thousands of hardware and software products for publications like Computerworld, BYTE Magazine, Government Computer News, PC Magazine, Network Computing, and Network World. “The more mature, more reliable and more feature-complete CA ARCserve gave us both file- and image-based backup, demonstrated faster performance, had better SRM reporting, exhibited far greater uptime and availability and cost less to operate.”
• The review called CA ARCserve “a single answer for IT organizations that need both physical server and virtual server backup and recovery.” It said that in a hybrid physical/virtual environment, Veeam Backup & Replication “forces you to license two different vendors’ backup and recovery products – one physical, the other virtual. The two-vendor approach doesn’t make sense because it’s more expensive and less productive.”
• CA ARCserve supports more virtual platforms than Veeam and protects the entire Hyper-V hypervisor host, while Veeam Backup & Replication does not. “CA ARCserve can thus recover an entire virtual host, as a single entity.”
• In comparing image-based backup functionality, the reviewer noted that “CA ARCserve’s I2 (Infinite Incremental)™ is faster than Veeam Backup & Replication’s synthetic full backup process.”
• Unlike Veeam Backup & Replication, CA ARCserve supports tape and provides a wealth of file-based backup features. CA ARCserve is also “fast, reliable and frugal in its use of storage space, offering built-in data deduplication at no additional cost.”
• CA ARCserve includes a High Availability component for companies needing maximum system uptime and availability for business-critical servers and applications. “Simply put, Veeam Backup & Replication lacks CA ARCserve’s feature-rich, mature ability to replicate, monitor and automatically fail over critical servers,” according to the report.
“Organizations are looking for comprehensive solutions that can safeguard all of their data and application assets regardless of the platform on which they reside,” said Steve Fairbanks, vice president, Product Delivery, Data Management, CA Technologies. “This new review clearly demonstrates the key strength of CA ARCserve as a singular solution that protects customers’ complex environments, while at the same time being easy to purchase, own and manage.”
The review follows other recent studies commissioned by CA Technologies in which CA ARCserve r16 outperformed Symantec™ Backup Exec™ 2012 and CommVault® Simpana® 9.
Product Brief: CA ARCserve r16: Hybrid Data Protection
Product Brief: CA ARCserve Solution: Top 10 Benefits, 5 Reasons Why
About Network Testing Labs
Network Testing Labs performs independent technology research and product evaluations. Its network laboratory connects myriads of types of computers and virtually every kind of network device in an ever-changing variety of ways. Its authors are networking experts who write clearly and plainly about complex technologies and products.