Over 550 partners worldwide took part in the company’s online survey which found that, on average, partners spend 34 percent of their time helping customers with innovation projects that enable new revenue-generating services. The conventional wisdom is that 80 percent of a company’s IT budget is typically spent on maintenance and operations, leaving just 20 percent for innovation initiatives.
“IT projects are being driven by the need for businesses to innovate for growth, while creating new ways to serve customers. And today’s IT director is expected to be the driver of these efforts,” said David Bradley, senior vice president, Global Partner Sales, CA Technologies. “Our solutions and partner programs equip partners with the tools they need to help their customers fuel innovation and help drive growth. The Channel Index 2013 shows just how far IT departments and channel partners have come on this journey.”
Two priority areas for IT investment emerged from this research: enterprise mobility and cloud. Enterprise mobility is becoming increasingly more widespread, providing customers and employees with new and convenient ways of accessing enterprise applications. With this comes added complexity to the IT environment and new challenges to manage and keep the IT environment secure.
The index revealed that 84 percent of CA Technologies partners expect to see increased spending on enterprise mobility over the next year and almost all (94 percent) recognize that the rapid adoption of mobility creates opportunities to help grow their business.
Cloud computing was identified by CA Technologies partners as the second priority for their customers IT investments. Sixty nine percent of the partners surveyed predicted an increase in cloud computing spending over the next year. Cloud gives customers greater agility to match business needs, and enables innovation by leveraging this new way of using and consuming technology. It is also transforming the cost model away from fixed investments to more pay-per use models. While the private cloud is the most popular deployment model today (65 percent of partners have customers who are using it), the use of hybrid cloud is increasing quickly (with 34 percent currently using it and 26 percent planning to use it in the next twelve months).
CA Technologies partners are innovating as well as their customers, by evolving their business models to adapt to customer demand and evolving into managed service providers (MSPs). The arrival and adoption of disruptive technologies presents great opportunities for partners and the survey indicates they are responding quickly to market changes.
The CA Technologies Channel Index 2013 also found that 60 percent of partners have become or started to become full MSPs, while 26 percent acknowledged that they need to consider the MSP business model. The MSP model enables them to build cloud-based service offerings that allow their customers to meet business needs with more flexible and cost-efficient IT. Partners are also offering innovative services, with 71 percent offering services above and beyond basic IT.
For more information and to download CA Channel Index 2013 Report, visit http://www.ca.com/us/collateral/supporting-pieces/na/ca-technologies-channel-index-2013-supporting-press-materials.aspx.
About the survey
Now in its fifth year, the CA Technologies Channel Index 2013 is an annual online survey which tracks responses from over 550 CA Technologies partners on the outlook of the IT industry.