Business leaders widely accept that success depends on keeping their technology infrastructure current and strategically planning for new innovation. This research identifies the important underlying connections among development agility and speed, software modernization and business profit and growth.
IT decision-makers were surveyed for a new study “Enterprise Software Modernization and Business Performance
”* which was conducted by Forrester Consulting. Software modernization enables enterprises to keep their IT investments up to date and respond to changing business needs and market opportunities in order to win, serve and retain customers.
Some findings of the survey include:
• Levels of software modernization were lower than expected, averaging 30 percent - 36 percent.
• Software modernization and software currency are different. Respondents reported far higher percentages of software running on vendors’ most current or current -1 release levels than their self-assessment of software modernization.
• Agility is significantly improved with modernization. Firms where IT leaders reported higher levels of modernization showed faster product and application development cycles.
• Faster-growing companies surveyed had average product cycles that were 35 percent shorter than at slower-growing companies. Likewise, the faster-growing companies had IT application development cycles that were 29 percent shorter than those in slower growing companies. Clearly, faster cycle times in product and application correlates with faster revenue growth.
• Modernization could reduce maintenance budgets by 20 percent.
• Significant benefits can be achieved by modernizing systems of IT management.
“We believe the research suggests that business agility is the new source of business value,” states Sid Kumar, vice president and group head, customer lifecycle solutions, CA Technologies. “In the application economy, businesses with long-term flexibility will be able to respond dynamically to evolving customer requirements and drive positive performance. CA Technologies helps customers seamlessly manage this process by delivering a comprehensive approach to enterprise software lifecycle management.”
The new study also provides key recommendations to help enterprises modernize software, including: 1. Assess your level of modernization:
considering your installed enterprise software, assess what percentage you feel is modernized by domain and by business processes supported. 2. Evaluate resource allocation
: evaluate whether budget and personnel resources are being best deployed supporting software at lower levels of modernization. 3. Build agility into existing systems:
consider how to extend the life of existing on-premise assets through upgrades that align to business needs through mobility, better use and access to data, and capabilities that increase agility.
For more recommendations, download the complete study here
. Additional resources
• Recorded Webinar
, “How Modernization Drives Business Performance” featuring Sid Kumar and Forrester Research, Inc. vice president, principal analyst Chip Gliedman
• Studies “How To Bridge The Gap Between IT And The Business” and “The Road Map To Modern Software-Enabled Busines
• Video Series: Portfolio Modernization
• Learn how to Evolve Your Software
*A commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of CA Technologies, “Enterprise Software Modernization and Business Performance,” March 2014.