Accelerating Velocity and Customer Value with Agile and DevOps
How agile and DevOps practices can improve digital transformation business results
The pressures of the app economy mean that improving velocity and delivering optimal customer value must live at the heart of every organization’s digital transformation strategy. As a result, businesses are transforming the way in which they design, develop, and deliver applications so they can offer higher quality apps to customers, faster than ever before.
In this environment, software development processes such as agile and DevOps practices, have become critical to success. Combined, the two practices help businesses respond to changing market dynamics with speed and confidence; and get to market faster with high-quality products that customers want.
CA Technologies commissioned Coleman Parkes Research to survey 1,770 senior business and IT executives to examine how enterprises are leveraging agile and DevOps within their digital transformation programs and the impact these approaches are having on business performance
Our analysis revealed that:
- 81 percent believe that agile and DevOps are critical to successful digital transformation.
- More than four in five businesses are using each of these practices to some degree.
- A ‘maturity gap’ remains in organizations’ use of agile and DevOps, with only around a third having deployed either practice widely across the organization.
- Yet the benefits of mature adoption are significant:
- Advanced agile users see a 40 percent improvement in time-to-decision (that is, the time to act on new opportunities), compared to 33 percent for basic users.
- Advanced DevOps users see a 42 percent improvement in speed to market, compared to 24 percent for basic users.
- There are also huge advantages to adding DevOps practices to an agile environment. This improves new business growth by 63 percent more than using agile alone–and operational efficiency by 41 percent more.
These findings make a compelling case for adopting agile and DevOps as essential components of a digital transformation strategy and provide an actionable checklist of seven critical steps you should be taking now.