We have been experiencing this thread hung issue intermittently in our WebSphere JVM.
It seems like it could be due to some kind of deadlock(infinite waiting) when our Authminder/Webfort servers try to connect LDAP and they are not reachable anyhow.
In that situation they try to block connections in the connection pool and stops working after some time.
I want to know the best ways on how to deal with this situation to re-mediate hung threads and flush them automatically if it happens.
Otherwise can we set its timeout so that it will throw an exception if it's going to take long but return thread to the pool.
Perform the following steps to update the LDAP connection pool timeout on IBM WebSphere:
1. Log in to WebSphere Administration Console.
2. Navigate to Servers > Server Types > WebSphere application servers.
3. Click the Server that you want to configure.
4. In Server Infrastructure section, click Java and Process Management.
5. Click the Process Definition link.
6. In the Additional Properties section, click Java Virtual Machine.
7. In the Additional Properties section, click Custom Properties.
8. Click New to add custom properties.
9. Add the configurations that are listed in the following table as name-value pairs in the General Properties section. Repeat the process for every name-value pair:
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.maxsize - 64
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.prefsize - 32
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.initsize - 8
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.timeout - 240000
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.protocol - plain ssl
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.authentication - simple
10. Click Apply.
11. Restart WebSphere.